//]]>

Friday, January 4, 2013

The Rings

There seems to be a lot of rings going involved with getting married the engagement ring, both wedding bands, plus I got Matt and special ring when we were in Ireland.  Most important first:

The Engagement Ring

My engagement ring is kind of a family heirloom.  It belonged to my dad mom, so my grandmother on his side.  She died before I was born so sadly I never got to meet her, but if I did my dad always said she would have spoiled me to death.  He said she always wanted a grand daughter, so when she died she left her engagement ring to go to the first girl born into the family.  I was the only girl in our family so I win : ) 

It's a vintage looking ring, with a thin 18k yellow gold band, with a larger stone in the middle and 12 smaller stones going around it.  I'd like to give it to the first girl born into our family as well, which is one reason why I'm wanting a girl for my first child.  I like the idea of giving a ring to the girl instead of the boy.  That way you don't have to worry about your son marrying someone and then getting divorced and never getting the family ring back.  Plus when it comes time to get engaged if the boy who wants to ask your daughter wants a free ring instead of shelling out big bucks for one, he has to come ask permission : ) Which is exactly what Matt did. 


When Matt first proposed I could only get the ring to stay on my index finger since it was too big. My grandmothers hand must have been much bigger than mine.
 
Matt's "Engagement" Ring

I knew I already wanted to by a special ring for Matt when we were in Ireland as his Christmas gift, but now since we got engaged there I kind of consider it to be his engagement ring.  He wears it on his ring finger like one, and people actually thought we eloped and already got married when they saw him wearing it.  It's a claddagh ring, almost like mine, expect his is a band with the design engraved into it.  It's not super fancy since we couldn't afford and really nice ring like I would have liked, but it's the thought that counts.  I got my claddagh ring when I was last in Ireland and it was only $10 and it still looks wonderful.  One day I would like to get us real gold ones, and I'd like for him to have one like looks like a bigger version of mine, which is traditional for men to wear. 



Brides Wedding Band

I feel like I'm pretty lucky because both of my rings come from someone in my family.  Not only do I get to save some money by not having to buy a new one, it feel much more special to have a thing be passed down in the family.  My wedding band come from my other grandmother, my mom's mom (I call her Neenaw).  She gave me her wedding band from when she was married to my Pop, who died quite a while back.  I did have it altered a bit though.  It was quite a wide band, measuring 8mm, which actually made it way too small on my finger and made it feel like the engagement ring would fall off.  I had it pretty much cut in half, I believe taken down to 4mm.  This actually made it fit my finger perfectly without more altering.  It still looks like a larger band, more like one a man might wear, but I like it that way.  It makes it look more unique even though it's just a simple gold band.  Plus it's a nice opposite look to the engagement ring, with its super thin band.  I'll add a picture soon to show you what I mean.   So in the end I get my whole ring set from both side of my family.  Now I just hope I can pass my rings down to someone so they can keep being enjoyed.

Grooms Wedding Band

We actually just got Matts ring like a month before the wedding :S  We wanted to go with a yellow gold band to match mine, but it is next to impossible to find one from a real jewlers for less than $600.  Even just a plain one.  We decided where it comes from really doesn't matter, it's what it represents.  So...we went with Walmart.  They actually had a pretty decent looking 14kt 6mm yellow gold band for only $269.  We have a winner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment