//]]>

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Dress

All the info on my dress and plans for other accessories and stuff for the big day.  I'll update this one post instead of rewriting new ones when things get added.


       
Maggie Settero "Gwen"


Me




Pretty much the first thing I actually got done was getting my wedding dress, since I wanted that done before I left for France.  It's a Maggie Sottero called "Gwen".  A lot of people seem surprised that I found it so soon, but I wanted to get one before I left for France so that would be one less big thing to think about an I would have plenty of time to get alterations done.  After it came back from France early I kinda wish I had waited but, coulda, woulda, shoulda, you know.  My plan of action was to not even look at any other dresses when I got home to keep from feeling like I chose the wrong thing.  Anytime I saw a pretty dress I just told myself it probably costs and arm and a leg (which was probably true).

with a lace up back and corset, a must
 have for me since I was loosing weight
 I always thought I would get one of the huge ball gown type dresses with layers and layers.  But after I got to thinking about how much moving I would do besides going down the isle I realized less is more in this case.  I like this dress because it gives me the support of a big poofy dress with the corset top, but the lightness of all those little skimpy dresses people are wearing as well since there is only satin on the bottom (which also makes bathroom breaks easier :P).  Mine is also bright white instead of the champagne color shown.

I do like the dress I got, but I didn't fall head over heals for it like they always say you will.  I actually hated dress shopping because it was so much pressure to choose something.  Either by the sales people or by the others who are with you because they either want you to hurry and choose something so they don't have to go with you again or because they say everything looks great.  I almost wonder if I chose this dress because it was the first one I found in my price range that actually had most of what I wanted in a dress.  It has the corset waist (most important), all white, with some lace, and not too much bead work on it. 
close up of corset lace with ruching

I think the main reason I'm a little sad I went with it is a "paid full price" on a dress is that is about 3 years old and was used as a sample dress.  It was going originally for $598 and that's what we paid for it, but with alterations and a steam cleaning included.  From what I've heard alteration can cost almost as much as the dress, but this one might not need as much so I'm not sure how much I'm saving.  I think at least $100 just for the hem line alone.  I'm not sure if they can bring up the waist in the corset a bit since I'm sure it's made to fit a normal height person and I'm a bit petite. I just always think back to another dress I tried on at Davids Bridal that I liked too, but it was way to much.  I hate how they make you fall in love with a dress that you can't afford. And I have seem Say Yes to the Dress way too many times to fall for that, but sometime I wish I had.  Or at least waited to see if it went on sale.  The dress I chose didn't seem to be going anywhere.  But once again I wasn't even going to be here in January so once again, coulda, woulda, shoulda. 


No comments:

Post a Comment